Sunday 16 September 2012

Cardinal Duka in Prague

 
Dominik Cardinal Duka, Archbishop of Prague and the Papal Nuncio to the Czech Lands, Archbishop Giuseppe Leanza arriving for Mass at St Vitus Cathedral.
 

 I had forgotten just what a lovely city Prague is but have been reminding myself with a visit, principally for the Investiture of Cardinal Duka as Chaplain General to the International Order of St Lazarus (of which many of you will know, I am Chaplain General in Great Britain). 
 
The Grand Master of the Order, Count Jan Dobrzensky and Grand Master Emeritus, Prince Charles-Philippe, invest the Cardinal as the Chaplain General to the whole Order.
 
 I was also privileged to receive the title of Commander of Merit for my work with the Order.  Great Britain has raised £10,000 for the relief of leprosy in the Archdiocese of Colombo in Sri Lanka.
 
 
Grand Treasurer Nigel Sterland and his wife Anne are introduced to Cardinal Duka at the reception after Mass held in the Archbishop's Palace.
 
 With Mgr Luigi Casolini, Dean of Tivoli Cathedral and Fr Mark Lawler, Chancellor of the Priory of Great Britain in the splendid setting of the Cathedral.
 
And with Mgr Bosé, Grand Prior Spiritual of the Order.
 
 The police station - I liked the idea of St Joseph watching over it.

 
The Calvary on Charles Bridge
 

I love the art Nouveau and Fin de siecle architecture that abounds
throughout Prague. 

1 comment:

Dobry den said...

Let us hope and pray that Cardinal Duka will be more amenable to the traditional Mass than his predecessor Cardinal Vlk who was so opposed that many found that their only refuge was in the SSPX.

Prague is indeed a lovely city and I forgive the inhabitants for the theft of my digital camera some years ago on the Charles bridge.