Tuesday 22 February 2011

"the strong obey when a strong man shows them the way"

I'm setting out for County Durham today where I preach at Solemn Mass for the Feast of the Chair of St Peter at Sacred Heart Church, Thornley. As I do so, I have been reading that the Holy Father has been asking seminarians who are training in Rome to return to their own countries:

"with an unshakeable affection for the Successor of Peter and with the desire to strengthen and maintain the communion which binds the Church in charity around him."

He also asks them to be:

"stout-hearted for whatever awaits in the future."
Read the full text here on Zenit.

My mind wandered to the song "Stout-hearted men" (Lyrics by Oscar Hammerstein) and especially the lines:

"Hearts can inspire other hearts with their fire,
For the strong obey when a strong man shows them the way.



Give me some men who are stout-hearted men,
Who will fight, for the right they adore,
Start me with ten who are stout-hearted men,
And I'll soon give you ten thousand more."


In other words, good goes from strength to strength, like the 12 Apostles - it only took 13 to spread the Good news.

Here are "ten who are stout-hearted men" (Most of them are speaking at the Adoratio Conference in Rome, June 20 - 24th )













1 comment:

David O'Neill said...

I count you among the 'stout hearted men' following your excellent sermon at Thornley. Please try to send a copy to me as promised either through Fr Brown or direct to david-oneill3@sky.com
God Bless